Scientists are studying the effects of CBD, and have found evidence that it helps reduce anxiety.
Ongoing research have found that cannabis, specifically CBD, is very effective in treating anxiety disorders. And unlike prescription medication, like Xanaz and Zoloft, given to patients, cannabis is not nearly as addictive.
Statistics on Anxiety Disorders
- Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S, Roughly 40 million adults – 18 percent – suffer from anxiety-related disorders.
- Many Americans do not seek help. Only 36.9% of those suffering receive treatment, even though anxiety is highly treatable.
- People with anxiety are six times more likely to be hospitalized. They also see doctors more often for check-up’s and consultations.
- Anxiety can be caused by a lot of factors, including trauma, genetics, and brain chemistry.
- The most common forms of anxiety disorders are specific phobias (19 million American adults) and social anxiety disorder (SAD – which affects about 15 million adults or 6.8% of the U.S.).
How Does CBD Help the Body with Anxiety?
- Research shows that CBD acts similar to SSRI’s (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), the same class of drugs used to treat anxiety and depression. CBD may boost signaling through our serotonin receptors. Seratonin, nicknamed the happy chemical, contributes to our feeling of wellness, and helps regulate our sleep-wake cycles. The research has even found that CBD may affect serotonin faster than SSRI’s.
- Brain scans of patients taking CBD revealed changes in blood flow to the regions of the brain linked to feelings of anxiety. Those with social anxiety disorder (SAD) showed reduced symptoms of anxiety.
- Similar studies showed CBD can be used to treat social anxiety associated with public speaking.
- Current research is focusing on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and found that CBD reduces their symptoms. Researchers also found CBD reduces anxiety with people and children with a history of trauma and can help them sleep better.
Read more CBD for Sleep Disrorders