Studies show that CBD can help those suffering from insomnia, lack of sleep and other sleep disorders.
Scientists have been studying the the endocannabinoid system, our body’s biological system that regulate a variety of physiological and cognitive processes, including appetite, pain sensation, mood and memory . The endocannabinoid system (ECS) was actually named after the cannabis plant that led to its discovery and is one of the most important physiological system involved in maintaining human health. That’s because cannabinoids like CBD work by behaving like products our body produces naturally.
Statistics on Sleep Disorders
- Sleep disorders are one of the main medical issues people are suffering from. In the U.S. alone, it’s estimated up to 30 million Americans don’t get the suggested 7-8 hours of sleep a day. Adequate sleep is essential to our health, mind and body. It plays a big role on our memory and cognitive processes.
- 50-70 million Americans say they suffer from a sleep disorder such as insomnia, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, and some other 70 such sleep disorders.
- 10,000 deaths a year are attributed to sleeping pills and other hypnotic drugs. (Some estimate the number is much higher.) So scientists are trying to find alternate ways to help with sleep disorders.
- Over 4% of American adults take sleeping pills, which can have serious side effects like oversleeping, addiction, memory problems, mental and behavioral disorders, learning disabilities, worsening insomnia, and the worse – overdosing.
How Does CBD Help the Body to Sleep?
- CBD helps the body by reducing pain and anxiety, two of the top causes to sleeplessness.
- CBD is believed to help regulate the levels of serotonin and glutumate in the body. Scientists believe that these neurotransmitters play a significant role in sleep, and CBD helps brings the levels inside your body into balance.
- Small doses of CBD has also been proven to help those suffering from mood disorders, relieving anxiety and improving their sleep cycles.
- CBD can also reduce symptoms of REM behavior disorder (RBD).
- CBD’s many effects mean it can attack sleep issues from several causes. It reduces pain, inflammation, depression and anxiety – all underlying causes of sleeplessness.
Read more CBD for Anxiety